Have you ever listened to a podcast where somebody super
successful talks about their journey to where they are now? Or watched a Ted
Talk or read an article about an individual’s life and career with the
underlying message of ‘if I can do it you can too!’
How does it make you feel? Inspired or inferior? It’s a fine
line for me. No matter how against the odds the individual was throughout their
journey, how much they explain that their path was by no means plain sailing
and they had to work their arses off to get there, I sometimes just can’t help
that niggling feeling that such success and transformation could never happen
to me.
I attended Wanderlust108 on Saturday with 2 of my fellow
wellness-loving friends in Battersea Park. As well as various food, drink and
craft stalls dedicated to the world of wellbeing, there was a mindful triathlon
throughout the day which consisted of a 5km run, yoga and meditation sessions. The
day started off with relentless rain over our sunrise meditation, and continued
throughout the warm-up and 5km run. We were extremely close to leaving, but
then the rain cleared up long enough for us to enjoy some yoga and meditation
in the great outdoors. As you can imagine, the festival was full of people
high-flying in the wellness world, many of whom have carved their own paths
with tenacious and entrepreneurial flair. If I’m honest, the kind of people I
wish I was more like.
But for the first time in a long time I didn’t feel inferior
here. It was such a supportive, collaborative and community-focused atmosphere
that it was hard not to feel completely inspired by and connected to others.
One thing I took away from this experience was that inspiration can come from
anywhere- it can be an idea, thought or simply a feeling that can’t be
described. In order to feel inferior, we have to subject ourselves to a
negative comparison with another. But realistically, we’re all unique and
different people. Life would be so dull if we were all the same, and the people
who love us for who we are don’t want us to be anyone else. If I find myself feeling
inferior to someone, I’m hoping in future to ask myself why that is. What is it
I believe they have that I want or feel I lack? This feedback may allow me to
reflect on my own life and think about what it is I am dissatisfied with that
is making me feel this way. And also, it could be that same person who you feel
inferior to is actually feeling something similar about you- you never know!
I’m hoping to attend more events in the wellbeing sphere and
will try to practise this skill of feeling inspired as opposed to inferior. It
may be easier on some days than others, but let’s see how it goes!
Comments
Post a Comment